Monday, August 8, 2011

Our Summer So Far


July 4th at Chad's Parent's House
At Ruth's Chris

My favorite time of year...for so many reasons is…the 4th of July. I've always liked it more than the other holidays because it's summer, it's hot outside, school is out, and so many fun things are happening (like the carnival, the rodeo, the shops at the park, baseball games, bbqs, etc.)

And...the cherry on top...it's the time of Chad and my first date. That's what makes it the sweetest. We have celebrated our "first date anniversary" the last two years now because it's so special to us. It reminds us both, individually, of one of the most trying times we had in our lives... which then led us to come together to share the mark of a new beginning. When one door closes, another door opens...we just have to be brave enough to close the first one.

So this 4th of July weekend, Chad had just come home from a two-week job in Washington, and that Saturday, we spent the afternoon at Dennis and Lisa's. Chad helped work on the dock and then we bbq’d and rode wave runners all over Utah Lake. I never knew how much fun that could be because I am so terrified of the water and new to the water sports. It took some coaxing to get me on one by myself, but I did it and we had a blast. Sunday, I had planned to surprise Chad with a little get-a-way...we packed our over night bags and went to Ruth's Chris in Salt Lake for dinner. I've never been to any restaurant that nice, or expensive. The memories are priceless, so the money spent was well worth it. After dinner, I had reserved a room at the Anniversary Inn. I'm not complaining, but the minute we stepped inside, the whole place just smelled OLD (and "haunted" Chad said). Chad gave me the stink face as he carried our bags up the stairs. Our "suite" was called "The Enchanted Forest"...and it was very much smaller than the pictures made it look. Chad is 6'3. The bed was probably 5' by 5'. The TV was a good 10-year-old Panasonic 32 incher, and the plastic plants all over the room dated it even more. I have to say; I was a little disappointed at first. They left us a complimentary bottle of sparkling cider and two pieces of cheesecake...so we climbed up into the bed and had dessert. As it got darker outside, it kind of felt like we were in a tree house...(the bed frame was a big tree with the branches going up to the ceiling the (fake) leaves hung down). It really was relaxing, just to be away from home and not have to think about anything...except we couldn't help but think that at home, we had a big bed, with a big screen TV. The next morning, they left a warm breakfast outside the door, which we ate in bed also, and then we packed our things and headed home. It was the 4th of July! Later that evening, we went back out to Saratoga; we had a BBQ with the family, played out on the water, and then lit our fireworks off the dock. We had such a fun weekend!

Now after all that fun, the work began. The new OR pharmacy opened up and I've been working like crazy. I worked four 14-hour days in a row and by the last day, I was dead. It really made me appreciate all the hard work Chad puts in because he has days like that ALL the time. When he was in Washington, he worked 14-hour days for nine days in a row...and I didn't hear him complain once. He comes home and helps me, and spends time with me, works in the garage, or in the yard...I just don't know he does it. He's a lot stronger than me. I am so glad to have such a strong, and motivated man. I know he'll always take care of me and our family. I really don't know what I'd do without him. I am so lucky that he is mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment